Get in the Mood for Love

by Meryl K Evans | Category: Books, Life Tips, Meryl's Notes Blog 10 comments

Married couples often hit a dry spell especially after children come along. They find less time to spend together alone and in the bedroom.

I ran into problems of my own in the bedroom. Between my hand injury and doing many game reviews, I had a dry reading spell. How I missed ending my day cuddled in bed with a book. Goodness knows, many books sit on shelves waiting for me to caress them and feel the love in exchange for giving me knowledge.

A hand injury preventing me from reading? Indeed. No matter what I did, the pain made me grimace. I tried a few tricks so I wouldn’t have to use the injured hand to hold the book. However, the hand hurt constantly causing me not to pay attention to the contents of the book.

It took one book. One small one to get my reading groove back. The book only had 176 pages — officially. A few pages didn’t count because of photos and the line spacing went wider than the average book. So the book was more like 100 pages. It made me laugh, too, an important aspect of a happy relationship.

wishful drinking Get in the Mood for LoveThe book? Wishful Drinking Get in the Mood for Love by Carrie Fisher. Hardly the kind of book I typically read. Before we get into that, let me back up.

I finally worked up the nerve to watching Fried Green Tomatoes Get in the Mood for Love based on the book by Fannie Flagg. I heard about a young boy’s death in the movie and didn’t know if I could handle it. Oh, sure, I’ve seen sadder movies. All the movie recommendation sites said I would like the movie. When it appeared on cable, I recorded it.

fried green tomatoes Get in the Mood for LoveI liked it. I hated the boy’s death. Nevertheless, it was necessary as it kick-started a friendship in the movie. It didn’t happen the same way in the book, but the death’s impact was important in the development of a character. After the movie, I picked up the book from the library.

In this case, watching the movie before reading the book did no harm. You can do it either way. I also liked the book. Despite this, it didn’t kick start my reading habit. It took a couple of weeks to finish it since I read it during physical therapy while my thumb sat in the sauna (heating pad).

Back on a dry spell until last week. While sitting in the waiting room for over an hour, I found Carrie Fisher’s book. The gal I had been chatting with in the waiting room every Friday told me she left it there for others to read saying it was a fast and funny read. I took her up on it reading all but the last 20 pages when my son finished his meeting. I took it home and finished it that night. Yes, I returned the book to the waiting room.

jonathan livingston seagull Get in the Mood for LoveThe topic of Jonathan Livingston Seagull Get in the Mood for Love came up in a conversation with my mom. How? I don’t remember, but she encouraged me to read it. Saying it was a short and powerful read. Went to the library to check it out and finished it that night.

I could feel the craving for books returning. In reading a weekly email newsletter, the writer mentioned that she received a book and was embarrassed she took so long to read this little book. I happened to have that book and pulled it from the shelf. Almost done with it, too.

Ironically, the lesson in this book could very well explain how I got my yearn to read books again. What book? That’ll be another post.

share save 171 16 Get in the Mood for Love
Tags:

• Posted by Tumblemoose on February 24th, 2009, 8:21 AM

Meryl,

I just love this post. It’s personal and real, and frankly there’s just not too much of that out there these days.

I’m going to seek out Wishful Drinking to have a peek.

Some marriages find that the addition of a toy into the bedroom can help matters – I was thinking a Kindle may help given the hand injury thing.

Cheers!

George

Tumblemoose´s last blog post… 85 writing posts and counting

• Posted by Meryl on February 24th, 2009, 9:10 AM

Thank you, George. Wish I could do more of these — but blog gets lower priority while client stuff gets higher priority.

Well, buying a Kindle for recovery would be a little much. I still like the real thing! :)

• Posted by Davina on February 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Hi Meryl. That must have been so frustrating for you. I’m glad you’re back at it. I LOVE the book Jonathon Livingston Seagull. My grandmother knew the story, but her eyes were too bad to read anymore, so I recorded the whole thing for her on one of those old cassette players. It felt wonderful to be able to do that for her.

• Posted by Meryl on February 24th, 2009, 4:11 PM

That’s wonderful of you to record the whole story for your grandmother. What a creative and priceless gift!

• Posted by How She Got Her Reading Groove Back | Meryl.net on February 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM

[...] Notes Blog Things wordy, geeky, and webby « Prev post [...]

• Posted by Meryl on February 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM

The book in question is in the next post…

The author who inspired me to read the book I had on my shelf is Daphne Gray-Grant, as she mentioned it in her newsletter.

• Posted by Liara Covert on February 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Your post offered insight into my maternal grandfather’s plight. Before he passed over, he went through stages of progressive blindness. Before that, he had been an avid reader. INitially, he was angry and disappointed he could no longer enjoy books as he had done. His deteriorating eyesight prompted him to shift focus to enjoying music and listening to sports broadcasts from the television. Although he was slowly finding it difficult to watch, he managed to find joy in heightening other sensory perception. In this way, he inspires others to make the best of where they are and focus on the good.

Liara Covert´s last blog post… 10 ways to take charge of your life

• Posted by Meryl on February 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM

No doubt, the losing of a life-long ability was hard on your grandfather. He made the most of it by relying on another ability and strengthening that. So few people do that especially seniors. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memory, Liara.

• Posted by Carla on February 25th, 2009, 5:34 PM

Your post reminds me of my occasional dry spells and how fulfilling it is to break those cycles.

• Posted by Meryl on February 26th, 2009, 9:43 AM

Carla, that’s exactly how I felt when I finally broke my reading cycle. However, I can’t find a balance between playing games and reviewing them (when not assigned by a client) and reading.