27 Most Used Applications in a Writing Business

by Meryl K Evans | Category: Blogging, Business, Links, Meryl's Notes Blog, Tech, Writing 11 comments

2 monitors1 27 Most Used Applications in a Writing BusinessEveryone has their own preference for what apps make a difference in their work. Mine might work for you, or they might not. We all try, download and install many apps and add-ons. Bet  the Pareto Principle applies here: We use 20 percent of the applications we have 80 percent of the time.

Not all of these apps relate to the act of writing, but contribute to my career as a writer.

Browsers: Yes, more than one!

1. Firefox and Firefox add-ons (my favorite)

2. Google Chrome

3. Opera

4. Internet Explorer

Bookkeeping and Invoicing

5. QuickBooks

Writing

6. Microsoft Office

7. Notetab

Communications

8. Gmail

9. Thunderbird and Thunderbird add-ons.

10. Google Talk

22. Filezilla

23. Bit.ly

24. Dropbox

25. Online backup

26. SnagIt

27. Adobe Acrobat

Not software, but must share. Love working with two monitors.

Next entry: The details behind these apps for those who wanna know.

What apps do you depend on for your writing business?

share save 171 16 27 Most Used Applications in a Writing Business
Tags: , ,

• Posted by Meryl's Apps For Writers - Resource Roundup Tuesday on September 22nd, 2009, 8:15 AM

[...] Meryl K. Evans’ article about the 27 Most Used Applications in a Writing Business she uses in her writing [...]

• Posted by Jonathan Cohen on September 22nd, 2009, 8:49 AM

These are all free tools for XP which I use…

PDF creation: PrimoPDF
    Faster, lightweight PDF reader: Foxit
    Task launcher: Launchy
    Email notifier: GMail notifier, POPPeeper
    Online storage/syncing: Dropbox
    Utility to allow you to move items in the Taskbar: Taskix
    XP Theme that’s easier on the eyes: Royale Noir.
    Tabs within MS Word: OfficeTab

• Posted by Thursday Bram on September 22nd, 2009, 2:17 PM

I know a lot of writers are reluctant to buy QuickBooks but I want to second your recommendation — QuickBooks has made my bookkeeping much easier.

It’s also like to recommend Gist.com — I’ve been using it to manage contacts and it’s made a big difference in how I can search for sources I know that I have a phone number for…somewhere.
    .-= Thursday Bram’s blog …Do You Have to Have a Client to Make Money? =-.

• Posted by Meryl on September 23rd, 2009, 8:35 AM

Jonathan, PrimoPDF is great. I know of a lot of people who use it. Also heard Launchy is great for those who need that. All great suggestions.

Thursday, thanks for admitting you use QB (; Hmm… maybe I should look at Gist.com now.

• Posted by Team The Rise To The Top on September 23rd, 2009, 3:16 PM

This list is great, love the way that it’s broken down into applications that can be used for different uses. I am interested in testing out the ones I have never heard before and passing them along. Thanks for posting this!

• Posted by Tweets that mention 27 Most Used Applications in a Writing Business | Meryl.net -- Topsy.com on September 23rd, 2009, 3:49 PM

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Write4Kids.com. Write4Kids.com said: 27 Most Used Apps in a Writing Business http://is.gd/3BysZ Jon, http://cbiclubhouse.com, Come Join the Fightin' Bookworms! [...]

• Posted by Linda White on September 23rd, 2009, 7:22 PM

Great post on the applications! Thanks for the tips – I love it! I haven’t worked full time as a writer for a while so this is a nice update.

• Posted by Mary McFarland on October 13th, 2009, 6:25 AM

I would like to add Google Docs to your list, Meryl. I use it to upload work-in-progress so it can be critiqued and/or edited by group members. It’s easy to use and uploaded material can only be accessed by members of the group. Its only limitation is that PDF and other graphics files cannot presently be uploaded. Thanks. Mary

• Posted by Meryl K Evans on October 13th, 2009, 7:28 AM

Linda, glad this helps you. Of course, you might discover others work better for you.

Mary, good suggestion. I use it sometimes when we have multiple contributors and all doing it at the same time. Otherwise, I love Word’s tracking and comments feature.

• Posted by Steve Gad on October 27th, 2010, 2:04 PM

Any writer really should have the excellent RoughDraft in their writing arsenal.
    I’m not going to say too much about it here, I’ll let you see why I have come to rely so much on this, tiny but powerful, tool.
    I can honestly say I’ve never been so happy to stumble across a piece of software, as I was when I saw this little gem.
    Whether scriptwriting, playwright, Novelist, or just jotting a simple note, this will become the first thing you click on to put words into action.
    I’ve thanked the program’s author several times, as I always feel I owe him so much. Try it – you’ll love it.

• Posted by Web Sites for Writers - Content Maven - Meryl.Net | Poewar on May 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM

[...] a large mass of people. I simply lack the time and focus. A few real relationships can be better.27 Most Used Applications in a Writing BusinessI use 15 out of the 27 tools. Most of the others would be useful for specific projects.10 [...]